1 virtual internships
Tasks:1. Controls equipment that produces soap according to formula
2. Opens valves to charge kettle with prescribed amounts of ingredients
3. Turns valve to admit steam through bottom of tank to boil agitate mixture
4. Observes mixture through opening in top of tank to detect variations of color, consistency, and homogeneity of boiling ingredients
5. Adds soda or water to mixture as directed by laboratory; or determines degree of alkalinity of caustic soda in mixture, using meter, and adds soda or water as required
6. Observes color, consistency, and homogeneity of product to define when boiling and agitating cycle are completed, and allows batch to cool settle for specified period of time
7. Raises or lowers pumpline to locate separation level of neat pure soap nigre residue
8. Starts pump to transfer neat to designated department
9. Lowers pump line to bottom of tank to transfer residue to reclaiming tank
10. May calculate amount of ingredients needed to make various soaps, using formula.
Key skills for Soap Maker:
- Operation and Control
- Quality Control Analysis
- Complex Problem Solving
- Production and Processing
- Public Safety and Security
Average Salary (2013):United Kingdom: £21,252 per year
United States of America: $57,000 per year
Australia: AU$63,000 per year
Qualifications and training required:
A person who wants to become a soap maker needn’t attend school to do so. In fact, there are no colleges for those who want to learn soap making. Instead, an individual who wants to become a soap maker typically only needs the ability to follow directions and observe safety precautions. If he has a working knowledge of how chemicals work together and a good sense of smell, these things can prove helpful as well.
Some people make soap as a hobby, keeping it for themselves or sharing it with friends and family members. Others may choose to sell their soaps online, at craft fairs, or through a store. People who choose to make soap making a business typically need business licensing and insurance for their products. In order to work at a soap making factory one must have a degree in chemistry.